View Single Post
Old 03-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Everybody Stretch!

~A Memorial for Pop~

Early this morning we got word that Pop passed away.

I did a thread in his honor a while back and I got so many wonderful contributions of sweet and loving memories for our grandparents!

Pop was 92 (though lately he's been saying he is 58..LOL!) and he lived a long and fulfilling life. He is my husband's paternal grandfather and his last grandparent to pass. When we moved Pop to the nursing home after his stroke, we knew he'd never come home again. He had an amazing comeback from the stroke but he could not walk anymore. Recently, he got an infection from pulling his catheter out continuously. He was a proud man and didn't like the catheter. This infection led to him contracting pneumonia. This, along with age and failed bodily functions, is the final cause of death. He didn't suffer or linger...and he had a living will to which we tried, despite our heartache, to follow and respect his wishes.

Just yesterday the personel at the home asked Pop (with my hubbies father present) if he wanted to remain at the home or be taken to the hospital for medical help. Pop did NOT want to go to the hospital.....he wanted to go home. This was an impossible request but we abided his wishes in him not being sent to the hospital. They did everything they could to make Pop as comfortable as possible in his last hours, without overriding his living will. He died in his sleep very early this morning. Pop is at peace now. We will remember him lovingly and miss him deeply!

I just wanted to let all my friends know of this wonderful man and his passing, in case I am not around for a few days!

P.S. I changed my av in his honor as I thought this (temporary) one would be more appropiate at this time. While I was changing it I got booted, so I had to come back and add this edit!

~Thomas Dewar~