Thread: Health update
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 PM

Ok, I got the news that I probably have the insurance I was looking for (but I'll beleive it when I get the official insurance card). Now, I get to try and weave my way through the rather poor mental health care system in my area.

I got told by the only mental health center in the area that I have to fill out some paperwork before they can even give me an appointment (and this was after stopping at one of their local offices and waiting for about 15 minutes without any sign of anyone to make an appointment, I knew I should have called first).

And I got a letter today from the group that manages the mental health aspect of my insurance that their goal is to make sure I get an appointment with a psychiatrist or therapist within 7 days of my release from hospital, with a number to call. So, I of course called the number, willing to take them up on their offer of them sending a mental healthcare professional to check in on me until I can get into the local mental health center. But what I got was a bunch of question and "advice" with no word on getting anyone to see me any sooner than whenever the local mental health center can manage to squeeze me in.

No wonder so many people in my area give up (come to think of it, I think that's a part of the reason I gave up 4 years ago. I went for 4 years total and saw 5 different therapists, two of whom wound up quitting to go to other jobs. HMMM, I wonder if I had anything to do with that )