Thread: The Frugal Perv
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Lunches for work

One of the things I use to spend a ton of cash on was lunches. Over the years it is amazing how much even going out to eat at a "fast food" restauraunt can add up to.

I went through many different things trying to find something worth eating that I wouldn't get overly tired of for my lunch. I work nights so my lunch ends up being in the middle of the night so it is a bit different than others lunches. Anyway I found one of the most inexpensive lunches was a can of soup and some crackers.

You can get the "off brand" soups from Wal-mart usually around $1.50 a can. The tops are pull tops so easy enough. I just take one can, some crackers in a baggie, and a bowl and spoon to work and it is pretty good meal. Thankfully we have a microwave that works well for that.

Other ways to save I have found is:

Gathering coupons from the sunday paper and taking the time to read the food adds and actually plan going to more than one store. It helps if you have a selection of grocery stores that are close to one another. By doing this alone I have saved on average of 30 dollars out of a 60 dollar visit to the grocery store. It is kind of a hassle at first but you get use to it. It is most effective if you go when they give double value to the coupons.

I also buy groceries that makes alot of servings such as chili, spaghetti, etc and buy the inexpensive freezer containers and portion it up to take for lunch etc.

Not sure any of these helps as I am single and you have a family to take care of but figured I would share nonetheless.

Sincerely,

Zeph