Thread: Divorce?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jude30
I think people jump into divorce just as fast as they jump into marriage. Since when is love, and friendship not enough? Try the counseling. My wife and I were just talking about this, and all things considered we shouldn't still be married, losing two kids, mistrust, accusations of cheating, an extended unemployment, and all the other crap that goes with being married to someone for nearly 11 years, and being together as a couple for over 18. We're still together and we (at this time) still like being married to one another. That hasn't happened without a LOT of counseling sessions. With a lot of different therapists. I get so upset when people won't go to counseling because they don't want to be "blamed" for anything. I have never been to a session where I was blamed for anything that I didn't already hold myself accountable for.

I don't know where I get my old fashioned streak when it comes to marriage, but unless there is abuse, cheating* or, something really wrong I think people should stay married. If it's that you're just not happy then figure out why you're not happy look at ways to change that. I haven't always been happy with my wife and I know she hasn't always been happy with me. I know I haven't always been *in* love with her either I guess, but I have always Loved her, and I always will. (Currently I consider myself In Love with her) We stuck with each other through good times and bad. (sounds familiar)

I guess you just need to ask yourself what has changed. Why aren't you In Love with him anymore? People change. I know that's really cliche, but I'm amazed everyday at the number of people who don't realize this. Like I said I love my wife but there is no way she is still the same person I married all those years ago, and she's sure as hell not the person I fell in love with when I was just a stupid high school kid, and I of course am not that same stupid high school kid. You have to roll with the changes, take the person for who they are and grow together as a couple.

*I don't necessarily think cheating is reason to get divorced. I understand it, but couples can work through it.