View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Married Couple

Part Two

Hunter Williams stood in the livingroom of the old Twelve Oaks plantation. He had fallen in love with the place when he was ten, and now at forty, he was determined to restore it to it's full and grand luster. It had taken him nearly six months to track down the current owner of the plantation; an air headed kid who had inherited it a few months ago and was so desperate for money that he sold the entire estate for twenty thousand dollars. Hunter couldn't believe it. A multi-million dollar plantation was now his for a mere twenty thousand dollars.

Hunter knew the history of the plantation. His great-grandparents had been attendants at the doomed wedding and had personally known Dixie Brown. They had passed on the story of how Dixie had cursed her father with her dying breathe. As a boy, he too had seen her ghost as she walked the grounds of the estate. He, of course, had seen her from a distance. From what he could tell, she had been a small built woman with a long and slender frame and ample breasts. She had long black/brown hair. Her eyes though had always escaped him since she was so far away. Now, he would have to guess that she had been at least five foot tall, maybe a few inches taller. Every time he had seen her, he had always gotten the feeling that she too had seen him. Now, he just hoped that she would allow him to own, renovate, and live there in harmony with her.

Dixie's see thru, filmy body floated at the top of the stairs as she watched the young man walk about her home. She knew him. He was the little, scrawny boy who had often appeared at the edge of the estate and looked up at her. But, now... Now he was a full grown man. Looking down at him, she would guess him to be about five foot ten. His short black/brown hair matched hers. From here, she could easily see his brown eyes. He was well muscled with a larger built frame than that of hers. She could feel her pulse, or at least what use to be her pulse, begin to race. This was the first time in one hundred years that she had felt close to being human. It was also the first time since the death of Jonathan that she had been so close to a human.

Dixie's first instinct was too run him off. But she knew that given the fact that they had already seen each other, at least from a distance, this man stood very little chance of running from her. "Good morning," she said, not knowing if he had heard her or not. She watched as the young man turned towards her floating body. Looking up at her, he removed his hat, and answered, "Good morning to you too, Dixie." "How do you know my name," she asked as her ghostly form drifted down the stairs. "My great-grandparents were present at you wedding... err... death."

Once learning who he was, Dixie felt very comfortable having this man here. Even after hearing about his plans for the plantation, she eagerly agreed. "I just have one request though," she said at the end of their first conversation. "What's that," Hunter asked. "That you allow me to help you. Errr... Rather give in put into how things are redone. I hope to remove anything that reminds me of my father." "I can agree to that," Hunter said smiling. "After all, you'll probably still be here long after I'm gone." Dixie gave a loud and booming, yet pleasant laugh. Some how, Dixie felt as if she was slowly becoming human again. She didn't know how, maybe it was the curse she had uttered at the time of her death, but she was begining to feel more and more human the longer she was around this man.