Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's good in your neighborhood? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34910)

PantyFanatic 04-10-2010 12:18 PM

What's good in your neighborhood?

1 Attachment(s)
My town has a number of old ethnic areas, while more dispersed than 30 years ago, still have some steadfast residence that operate their small steadfast traditions. Each seem to have something that is head and shoulders above it's likeness from any other source. Whatever magic wand they use, there just is a grade of taste or quality to their specialty that can't be equaled.

Yesterday I happened through the Hungarian area and HAD to stop at a bakery for the most scrumptious, flakey pastry ever. I ended up with a couple apricot strudel sticks to take home after consuming a lady finger on the spot. (I lost one of the sticks on the way home :bite: ) :o

So what is there in your local area that no factory can reproduce and you make a point to enjoy at each opportunity?

FallenAngel5 04-10-2010 12:54 PM

For the western NY area in general...
Chicken wings. Crispy, spicy, yummy chicken wings. Oft-imitated, never good. :)

Also, sponge candy.

Lord Snow 04-10-2010 12:56 PM

Murfreesboro doesn't really have anything that ethnic where a specific area is only one culture and all the stores cater to it, however, there is a very nice little restaurant that I love to stop in called the Opah Greek Grill. Excellent food, family owned, and they have.....................Baklava!

Lilith 04-10-2010 01:17 PM

I freakin' luv this sandwich shop. The hummer is my fave. I believe there are other posts on this forum regarding my love of a hummer.

http://www.hopkinseatery.com/menu/view

themi01 04-10-2010 02:38 PM

OH OH OH Lil can I give you a....... what a different kind of hummer oh sorry ... We actually have a pretty good Gyro place locally

Oldfart 04-10-2010 03:52 PM

I used to wonder what the "gyro" was, until I found out the Aussie Greeks call them Yiros.

PantyFanatic 04-10-2010 07:58 PM

Yep, yep. Gyros have made it to most places with different names but I too still have to go to Greek Town to get the best ones around here, and yes, they com from the little owner/operator places and not the chains shops.

While I'm there I can also pick up some of that really good Baklava that LS likes so much.:tongue: That seems to be another specialty that is present in a number of groups, but to get the very best around here I have to attend a Lebanese festival as they don't really have a 'district' in this town.

Lilith 04-10-2010 08:51 PM

We have some awesome BBQ joints here that are operated out of trailers or cooked in big metal drums. My girlfriend's family owns the best BBQ joint in town. Authentic. Yummy. The sides are all ho'made and treats as well- Mac-n-cheese, peach cobbler. Make ya wanna slap your momma.

PantyFanatic 04-10-2010 09:00 PM

Ribs is like chilly. Either they are an American thing or even global, but you don't have to go to any nationality group to find really good ones. They can come from ANYWHERE. :bite: :bite: :bite:

Lord Snow 04-10-2010 10:26 PM

It's not chilli unless it's my chilli, which happens to be my grandmother's (may she rest in peace) recipe.

Oldfart 04-11-2010 05:36 AM

Darwin has a special, Chilli Mudcrab.

Lilith 04-11-2010 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic
Ribs is like chilly. Either they are an American thing or even global, but you don't have to go to any nationality group to find really good ones. They can come from ANYWHERE. :bite: :bite: :bite:

Perhaps not "nationality group" but I'm not talking ribs. I'm talkin' BBQ made by people who know how to take the meat people threw away and make it a delicacy. I'm talking southern African American BBQ/soul food that comes from traditions and recipes handed down from the days of slaves. I'm talking about women who have an innate knowledge that allows them to do miraculous things with pork skin and fat. Trust me. The very fact that you think it can come from ANYWHERE means you have no idea what I'm talkin' about. Southern BBQ/soulfood is de bomb.

Lord Snow 04-11-2010 09:17 AM

Yeah, ummmmm, I know what parts of animals they use Lil, and I have to say............never in my life will I eat anything like that. Home made mac and cheese and vegetables are fine in my opinion.

Vicious Tease 04-11-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
Perhaps not "nationality group" but I'm not talking ribs. I'm talkin' BBQ made by people who know how to take the meat people threw away and make it a delicacy. I'm talking southern African American BBQ/soul food that comes from traditions and recipes handed down from the days of slaves. I'm talking about women who have an innate knowledge that allows them to do miraculous things with pork skin and fat. Trust me. The very fact that you think it can come from ANYWHERE means you have no idea what I'm talkin' about. Southern BBQ/soulfood is de bomb.

Amen!

IM1469 04-11-2010 02:25 PM

Have to agree with Lil on her assessment of who can do the most with ribs...However if you are looking for the ultimate, you definetely have to nerve up and attend the ultimate in cusine...The Pocohontas County, WV. Roadkill Cook Off held every Sept. Visit their site. Perhaps a great idea for a "Pagan Weekend."