Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Are you ready? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29152)

1nutworld 10-05-2006 07:47 AM

Are you ready?

Are you Pixies ready for .................................................. ...

WINTER???

As I type this, it is a balmy 35 degrees here. So I guess it means that my least favorite season is on it's way.

I know that I've got to do a test run on my snowblower YIKES!!
Finish cleaning my gutters
Take the screens out of the windows on the house

What have you done to prepare for it? Anything?

Pita 10-05-2006 08:00 AM

As I type this it is a chilly 64 degrees with a high of 89 today.

We are preparing in a few weeks to switch the thermostat from air to heat. I do have a jacket for the few days in the season that we will get below freezing. Thankfully that will only last a day or two at a time. :)

Anyone wanna come South and stay warm. ;)

jay-t 10-05-2006 08:10 AM

well I'll take the AC out of the window ,lay in some fire wood for the shop and turn the heat up on the hot tub. Then sit back and watch you get lots of snow! :corn: :)

WildIrish 10-05-2006 08:44 AM

I've got three more windows to replace; an air conditioner to cover; the backyard to clean up; lawn furniture to bring in & a boiler to get tuned up.

Other than that...I'm fine. lmao

Scarecrow 10-05-2006 11:16 AM

winter, it was 89f here yesterday, only 2f below a record high. I still need the air conditioner. The leaves are all blowing into the neighbors yard and the corn is almost out of the fields. The dance of the grain trucks has begun.

Steph 10-05-2006 12:11 PM

A friend has removed my A/C from the window, I need to buy more winter clothes & I'm going to need to start putting slippers on in the morning

flutelady 10-05-2006 12:15 PM

I'll have to close the windows at night, put on a sweatshirt occasionally and switch from flip-flops to close-toed shoes.

WildIrish 10-05-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutelady
and switch from flip-flops to close-toed shoes.

:yikes:

I hate this season! :banghead:

osuche 10-05-2006 12:45 PM

Me too on the shoes...plus I'll have to break out the umbrella and rain gear...here winter means RAIN and $300 heating bills. :(

maddy 10-05-2006 04:23 PM

I've already put the summer shoes away and pulled out all the closed toe ones. I need to shop for clothes. Thanks to my diligent dieting efforts at the start of the year, all my winter things ended up at Goodwill. I just bought a few pairs of long pants that should take me through the new year ... they have an adjustable waist. But I'll be in need of sweaters before too long.

I also need to bring patio furniture into the basement and put the pots in the basement too.

Then I need a new filter for the furnace. It's been nice for the past month or so having a small electric AND gas bill.

Lilith 10-05-2006 05:43 PM

I bet Sharni is looking forward to summer too!

I :heartbeat winter.

Neige 10-05-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith

So do I!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be ready if it got here tomorrow :D:D:D

This winter I am just going to wear last winter's boots and the same coat I've had for the past two winters - they are still in good shape.

I did see a pair of gloves that I really liked about two or three weeks ago... I've been thinking about them since - I think if they still have some next time I go to that store I will buy a pair! (I'm getting tired of my mittens I've had for about 5 years now - they have lasted well though!!!)

1nutworld 10-05-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith

I bet if you lived NORTH you wouldn't!

Gee, did that make me sound jealous of those who live in warmer climates?

sodaklostsoul 10-05-2006 10:20 PM

I got new tires earlier this year and am working on making sure the antifreeze is good.

As for the trailer I think Boog is putting the storm windows in over the next couple of weeks. He did buy new filters for the heater.

LixyChick 10-06-2006 04:51 AM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa! I miss summer! It really got away from me this year. I guess there's always next season, eh?

We replaced all but 5 windows in our house with the double-paned, argon filled, tilt-in jobbies. We left the front windows (3 upstairs and 2 down) because they'll need to be custom made (arched at the top) to keep with the integrity of this old house. I can already feel the difference when the nights get chilly. I haven't put on the heater yet and I used to use it every night about this time of year, to warm up the 2 ft. thick brick and stucco walls with plaster inside. We'll cover the front windows with the winterizing plastic shrinky stuff soon.

Covered the pool and then noticed the equalizer pillow deflated...so we have to retrieve that and replace it. Didn't even get to use the pool much *sniffle*

Gotta cut back some garden stuff, transplant other stuff, and bring in my canna and calla lilly bulbs to winter inside (so the mice can eat um...lol!).

We're replacing the outhouse roof (which blew off during a storm) and sealing the smokehouse roof (it's all concrete) this weekend.

I've seen many more of my spider friends lately...which folk around here say is a good indication of a rough winter. Millions of pine cones on the 3 trees aside of my house too. That's not good! Arrrrrggggggggggggg!

We're still mowing, so I can't wait till the grass goes dormant. That's one of the few things I like about fall/winter.