Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lunar eclipse to turn moon red 11-08-03 (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17236)

m45 11-08-2003 07:55 AM

Lunar eclipse to turn moon red 11-08-03

Thought I'd share this..

Stargazers across North and South America, Europe and Africa will watch the full moon dim into a dark, ruddy orb over the weekend as the moon drifts through Earth's shadow in the latest celestial event this year to pull eyes skyward.

Weather cooperating, people in the eastern United States, South America, Europe and Africa will witness the entire eclipse; it will already be under way when the moon rises around sunset in the western United States, and it will not be visible at all in Asia and Australia.

The eclipse reaches totality at 8:06 p.m. Saturday night, EST. That stage -- when the moon, Earth and sun are lined up precisely and the moon passes through the darkest part of Earth's shadow -- lasts just 24 minutes.

Unlike eclipses of the sun, which can damage viewers' unprotected eyes, lunar eclipses are safe to watch with the naked eye or binoculars.

Hope to be able to go out and see it..

Steph 11-08-2003 08:07 AM

I'm going to hobble down the stairs for this, no question!

musicman 11-08-2003 08:08 AM

well I'm heading out the door - don't know about hobbling :D

quisath 11-08-2003 09:39 AM

I'll carry you down Steph................

Low cloud cover here................... would be nice to catch a glimpse.

Lilith 11-08-2003 10:01 AM

We are gonna be at a party out in the boonies and I should get a great view. My kids came home all excited talking about it too. I am glad they love the night skies as much as I do.

PantyFanatic 11-08-2003 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steph
I'm going to hobble down the stairs for this, no question!

Oh NO!:eek: The world is not ready for you back in the streets yet.

You may be able to save your self a tough trip ("trip";)... get it? lol:D) down the stairs and have a better vantage point from a window above city obstructions. Now go wash your window.:)

Much of the US is threatened with overcast sky tonight. Here is a link to live astrocameras.
http://www.universetoday.com/am/pub...dex_11.html#789

Steph 11-08-2003 11:30 AM

I was thinking of heading out to the roof since it is flat outside the computer room. I was also thinking of cleaning the window :D

PantyFanatic 11-08-2003 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steph
....I was also thinking of cleaning the window :D

Great!:D Don't forget to do your bedroom window......... and pull that curtain on the right back a little more please.:cool:

celticangel 11-08-2003 06:45 PM

too cloudy to see the moon!~~~~~~~or maybe too drunk to focus!~~~~~~~~~~~~well it is 11:52 Sat night!

Cheyanne 11-08-2003 09:02 PM

We were driving back from the "city" after shopping and dining in our favorite Mexican resturant. The heater core in the vehicle decided that it would go out tonight (20 degrees temp) so we were wiping the windows with napkins from the resturant -- and I wanted to see this lunar event... so, Cobalt pulled over onto a gravel road, and turned the vehicle north... :D

The windows were so fogged up because we have no heat (no heater core working), so we opened the doors and froze as we viewed the "red" moon. It was really neat... and the kids now know that mom is crazy.. lol

Lilith 11-08-2003 09:30 PM

I was out in an open field and the night was crystalline. To the left of me was the reddened moon cloaked in shadow and to the right you could see the Milky Way in the dark night skies.

Yes
I'm bein' followed by a moon shadow
moon shadow
moon shadow.
Leapin' and hoppin' on a moon shadow
moon shadow
moon shadow.
And if I ever lose my hands
lose my power
lose my land -
Oh
if I ever lose my hands

Ooh
I won't have to work no more.
And if I ever lose my eyes
if my colours all run dry

Yes
if I ever lose my eyes

Ooh
I won't have to cry no more.

Yes
moon shadow
moon shadow.
Leapin' and hoppin' on a moon shadow
moon shadow
moon shadow.
And if I ever lose my legs
I won't moan and I won't beg

Oh
if I ever lose my legs

Ooh
I won't have to walk no more.
And if I ever lose my mouth
all my teeth North and South

Yes
if I ever lose my mouth

Ooh
I won't have to talk.

Did it take long to find me? I asked the faithful light.
Did it take long to find me and are you gonna stay the night?

moon shadow
moon shadow.
Leapin' und hoppin' on a moon shadow
moon shadow
moon shadow.
Moon shadow
moon shadow
moon shadow
moon shadow.

LixyChick 11-08-2003 09:40 PM

It was clear as a bell here......and I tried taking pics but I dunno what I got yet! It was really a cool eclipse this time! It's just under the freezing mark but I ventured out 8-9 times anyway! Brrrrrrrrrr!

m45 11-08-2003 09:44 PM

Got to see the moon coming over the ridge just as we finish the auction, it was already at 1/2.. Way Cool.
Hour home looked again was at full and very red, right now it is back to 1/2 and through the light cloud layer it is vary mystic......

Grumble 11-09-2003 02:51 AM

missed it because i am in the southern hemisphere and the 11th day of the eighth month (August) has long gone :(

jseal 11-09-2003 08:30 AM

m45,

It was also a good show in Maryland. A bit brisk, but a good show nonetheless.