Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transitions — Betty Friedan (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27389)

jseal 02-04-2006 06:21 PM

Transitions — Betty Friedan

Betty Friedan, one of the leading figures of America's feminist movement, has died at the age of 85.

She became internationally known for her book "The Feminine Mystique" which was published in 1963. She went on to found America's National Organization for Women in 1966, which has campaigned for full equality, and became its first president.

Fangtasia 02-04-2006 06:27 PM

I've never heard of her or her book

Lilith 02-04-2006 07:44 PM

She was a hero to many.

jbh3 02-04-2006 09:23 PM

Never heard of her.....and probably better off for it.

Lilith 02-04-2006 09:40 PM

Here is some info http://search.eb.com/women/article-9035419

Oldfart 02-04-2006 09:56 PM

Knew of her, but not much.

Seems to be the season for iconic women.

LixyChick 02-05-2006 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh3
Never heard of her.....and probably better off for it.

(((jbh3)))

Please see the link below your post! Ignorance isn't really blissful...it's just lazy! Someday...knowing about her might come in handy. If not...the knowledge can never hurt you!

Knowledge is power!!!!!

R.I.P. Ms. Friedan...and THANK YOU!

Fangtasia 02-05-2006 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LixyChick
Please see the link below your post! Ignorance isn't really blissful...it's just lazy! Someday...knowing about her might come in handy. If not...the knowledge can never hurt you!!

As i too had never heard of her...this is a somewhat offensive way of putting it...according to you because i'm not a know it all or a walking encyclopedia i'm lazy...

Just because someone doesnt know something doesnt mean they are lazy....if i choose to read the link posted thats my choice not yours

jbh3 02-05-2006 01:19 AM

Ok,ok Lixy I read the bio.She certainly was a pioneer in the Womens movement and I applaud her ideas and beliefs.Since she was before my time,when I think of WMO I think of this quote from the bio:"Although it was later occasionally eclipsed by younger and more radical groups.............."
My mistake.

lakritze 02-05-2006 06:22 PM

She died on her 85th birthday of congestive hearf failure. Betty Naomi Friedan 4th February 1921 - 4th February 2006. I remember listening to her in the 70s She was a great influence for me. RIP Ms.Friedan

LixyChick 02-05-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alassë
As i too had never heard of her...this is a somewhat offensive way of putting it...according to you because i'm not a know it all or a walking encyclopedia i'm lazy...

Just because someone doesnt know something doesnt mean they are lazy....if i choose to read the link posted thats my choice not yours

NO Alasse...I BEG TO DIFFER!

I never said if anyone has never heard of Betty Friedan they are lazy! I was addressing jbh3's post "personally" because HE stated, in finality, that he'd never heard of her and was probably better off for it.

I had no way of knowing if he'd ever come back to this thread to read the after responses. I was hoping, in my suggestion, that he would come back and read about her.

And in saying "ignorance isn't really blissful" I didn't mean he, or you, or anyone who doesn't know something about Betty Friedan is an ignorant or lazy person. I meant that for jbh to claim he is better off for not knowing is an ignorant statement (ignorant meaning not knowing...not impolite).

Alasse? You choose odd battles! And if I was a know it all...I'd know why you think I suck pond scum!

jbh? TY for understanding the real meaning behind my post. I truely meant no harm or foul!

maddy 02-05-2006 08:01 PM

I'm curious if anyone has read her book... I might need to add to my reading list as I had not heard of it previously.

Fangtasia 02-06-2006 12:41 AM

Here we go again....you hate me everyone hates me *sigh*....Dunno where ya get that freaking idea from....you've accused me of that so many bloody times...i've had it

I dont hate you....i dont think you suck pond scum...stop putting damn words in my mouth

jbh3 02-06-2006 11:23 AM

Alasse...Lixy Front and center...Enough Bickering!!..
Now drop those panties and bend over!! You two need a good spanking!!!! :)

LixyChick 02-07-2006 05:21 AM

Lol!