Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   **Gulp** (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32696)

osuche 03-26-2008 05:19 PM

**Gulp**

How do you work up the courage to do something really difficult? Something that you know you gotta do, but just aren't sure you have the guts to finish?

dicksbro 03-26-2008 05:32 PM

Probably depends a bit on what the situation is. But, for a serious situation, I count a lot on prayer and my faith to help guide and strengthen me. I also depend a lot on my wife and family and good friends for encouragement and support. Those are probably my most reliable and best "courage enhancers".

I also try to research the situation so that I feel like I know all I can about it and will be informed on what I'm doing. The better informed, the better prepared. The better prepared, the less nervous I tend to feel.

Not sure if that helps, but we'll keep you in our thoughts, osuche, if you're facing such a situation. ((((( HUGS )))))

Lilith 03-26-2008 05:48 PM

I'm going through something right now at my work. I have been trying to get the balls up to approach my principal regarding a change. I just can't do it especially now that they told us that if you don't have tenure, you don't have a job basically. So this morning I emailed her and set up an appointment to meet. It corners me into doing something, into having follow-through. Otherwise I kept finding excuses to *not* go have the talk.

osuche 03-26-2008 06:42 PM

I have no problems standing up for myself when I'm in the right - but I'm changing job plans mid-stream and I'm not ery good at asking for forgiveness.

Karma can be a bitch sometimes, and I'm afraid she's going to come and bite me in the ass.

How is it that something that is so right is so hard to do? Oh well, to the victor goes the spoils.

<sigh>

Here goes nothing.

rabbit 03-26-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
I have no problems standing up for myself when I'm in the right - but I'm changing job plans mid-stream and I'm not ery good at asking for forgiveness.

Karma can be a bitch sometimes, and I'm afraid she's going to come and bite me in the ass.

How is it that something that is so right is so hard to do? Oh well, to the victor goes the spoils.

<sigh>

Here goes nothing.

(((osuche)))

Call me if you need moral support, OK?

Good luck and be brave.

osuche 03-26-2008 07:06 PM

OK. Done. It wasn't easy, but the guy told me he understood. That I needed to do what was best for me.

I still feel about 2 inches high, though.

(((((Lilith))))) - it's amazing what good people can accomplish through communication. My hope is that your principal will see your value...and will work with you on finding a solution that will keep you at the school. Explore the possibilities - there might be some great opportunity around the corner!

rabbit 03-26-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
OK. Done. It wasn't easy, but the guy told me he understood. That I needed to do what was best for me.

I still feel about 2 inches high, though.

(((((Lilith))))) - it's amazing what good people can accomplish through communication. My hope is that your principal will see your value...and will work with you on finding a solution that will keep you at the school. Explore the possibilities - there might be some great opportunity around the corner!

((((osuche)))) and ((((Lilith))))

You two could use some mudslides. I've been known to play a pretty fair cabana boy....

:D

Lilith 03-26-2008 07:32 PM

The problem with doing a good job is that you become indispensable.

Oldfart 03-27-2008 02:37 AM

It's knowing that you're good enough to clamber back up. Uncomfortable, but doable.

I did that when I resigned last May after 14 1/2 years at the one joint.

wyndhy 03-27-2008 07:57 AM

it's a sign of your character that it hurts you to let others down, even if it is to please yourself.

gekkogecko 03-27-2008 09:59 AM

Like Lilith, sometimes when I don't want to do somethign that I need to, I end up easing into it until it's just too late and way too much hassle to back out of.

Lilith 03-27-2008 03:45 PM

Well I screwed up the courage and even though things won't be changing in the immediate future, I was given some assurances I needed. No pain, no gain I guess.

fzzy 03-27-2008 10:01 PM

Yea for both Osuche and Lilith .... it's not easy to do such things and doesn't it at least feel great that you don't have to face the dread of the situation anymore, it's behind you now....that's what I usually have to remind myself in order to get myself in geer to deal with difficult things... thanks for the good example and the reminder!

atom 03-27-2008 10:19 PM

During my time preaching The Fuck™, I have found myself in many strange situations. It is during those times that I remember that I serve as an example to my brothers. It is a tenet of The Fuck™ that weakness shall become strength, and the brotherhood gives me the strength to continue.

Amen

musicman 03-28-2008 09:53 AM

you did what you had to do....and good for you for doing it....

it was hard for me to tell the guy I used to work for I was leaving after 14 years, especially since I have known him my whole life...but eventually, I just sucked it and did it - turns out, it was quite liberating in the end....