Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Sex Talk (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New HPV vaccine? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28270)

-=Kenshin=- 06-08-2006 10:51 PM

New HPV vaccine?

I recently caught the last of a news reel the other night on t.v. and they said they had a vaccine now for the HPV virus which is the main virus that causes both...

a. genital warts
b. cervical cancer in women

This is big news, can anyone confirm this? thoughts? I caught the trail end of the reel saying that it was only effective for people who haven't already been infected with hpv.

Does it work for both men and women?

Lilith 06-08-2006 11:00 PM

It would be a blessing. I have tried for years to make women understand that HPV puts you at risk for cervical cancer. At the DR. yesterday they confirmed that they no longer consider cervical cancer to be at all genetic and almost all cases come from having been exposed to the STD, HPV. I get so frustrated when they have in the past downplayed the seriousness of this STD.

I pray the vaccination is truly effective.

Salacious 06-08-2006 11:32 PM

HPV Vaccine Prevents Leading Cause of Cervical Cancer
06.08.06, 12:00 AM ET

THURSDAY, June 8 (HealthDay News) -- A vaccine to prevent the leading cause of cervical cancer -- infection with the human papillomavirus (HPV) -- was approved Thursday by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection in the United States. Besides causing up to 70 percent of cervical cancer cases, HPV also causes precancerous genital lesions and genital warts.

Gardasil, made by Merck & Co., is approved for use by females 9 to 26 years old. The vaccine is given as three injections over a six-month period, the FDA said.

Some 6.2 million Americans are infected with genital HPV every year, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates. In most women, the body's immune system clears the virus without complications. But in some cases, HPV can promote abnormal cells on the lining of the cervix that ultimately become cancerous, the FDA said.

On average, there are 9,710 new cases of cervical cancer each year in the United States, leading to 3,700 deaths.

Because the vaccine doesn't protect against less common HPV strains, routine Pap screening remains crucial to early detection and treatment of precancerous changes in the cervix, the FDA stressed.

Oldfart 06-09-2006 02:41 AM

Just another piece of Aussie brainwork helping out the rest of the world.

scotzoidman 06-09-2006 09:15 AM

The emphasis seems to be on immunizing the very young women, since it's not of any help to those who've already been exposed...

On a very discouraging but not unexpected note, the Bluenoses have spoken out against the vaccine, saying that it will "encourage young girls to have unprotected sex"...

...news flash, :ahole: , it's the human sex drive that makes young people want to have sex...we owe it to our children to do whatever's needed to teach them to be smart about it...

-=Kenshin=- 06-09-2006 03:06 PM

^^ absolutely

wyndhy 06-09-2006 03:53 PM

the protesting arguments are fairly low and quiet. i don't think they'll gain much momentum.

Lilith 06-09-2006 05:01 PM

You know if we don't vaccinate our kids against measles then maybe they won't play with other children and risk infection :blink:

Sharni 06-09-2006 06:24 PM

The talk of the cervical cancer vaccine has been around for a bit here....and that it was getting closer to being an actual release....very glad to see it happening

Loren 06-10-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
The emphasis seems to be on immunizing the very young women, since it's not of any help to those who've already been exposed...

On a very discouraging but not unexpected note, the Bluenoses have spoken out against the vaccine, saying that it will "encourage young girls to have unprotected sex"...

...news flash, :ahole: , it's the human sex drive that makes young people want to have sex...we owe it to our children to do whatever's needed to teach them to be smart about it...

Yeah, they say it's only for the very young. However I was talking to a nurse involved in the testing and she says it's also showing promise even in women already infected.

Obviously this is unofficial but I could imagine it working. Post-infection use of vaccines isn't unheard of.

Wicked Wanda 06-10-2006 11:24 AM

Yes!!!!!!!

This is a truly wonderful thing!!
if you are worried about getting the vaccine, wait one year (while practicing safe sex) until any possible complications show up before getting immunized.
All the testing done so far will not show up the really rare complications, so waiting for a LITTLE while may be a good thing.

BTW, I am getting mine as soon as possible!!

Nurse Wanda

jennaflower 06-10-2006 11:52 AM

Last nite, I was blessed to be able to participate in this years local "Relay for Life", the American Cancer Society's largest most well known fund raising event. It was inspirational for me... to see so many survivors.. and I thought more than once about this recent development, the vaccine which will result in fewer cases (and hopefully someday, the irradication of) cervical cancer. It will be a wonderful thing if this new vaccine can save the lives of so many women and with it hopefully this will bring the much needed breakthrough in curing all cancers.

Oldfart 06-10-2006 12:10 PM

I wonder why no-one seems to be testing for HPV, giving women an indicator of their risk category.

It may at least spur women who would otherwise have cruised along to be very careful with their pap smears.

-=Kenshin=- 06-13-2006 07:52 AM

ok so from what i've been reading this prevents cervical cancer in women and prevents 99% of the hpv strains...now being male i'm kinda of curious does this work for men as well in the sense that we can be immunized from hpv strains or have our y chromosones failed us again? lol.

Loren 06-13-2006 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Kenshin=-
ok so from what i've been reading this prevents cervical cancer in women and prevents 99% of the hpv strains...now being male i'm kinda of curious does this work for men as well in the sense that we can be immunized from hpv strains or have our y chromosones failed us again? lol.

It prevents only 4 strains but they are the most common.

As far as I know it works in men also.

Cassiopeia 06-13-2006 10:06 PM

I too was excited to hear the news. I only hope that it will eventually be more cost efficient for all women of different socioeconomic status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
It prevents only 4 strains but they are the most common.

As far as I know it works in men also.

Oldfart 06-14-2006 06:26 AM

Kenshin,

There is no indication of cancer from the virus in men that I am aware of, but the lack of a cervix

probably has a protective aspect.

Loren 06-14-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
Kenshin,

There is no indication of cancer from the virus in men that I am aware of, but the lack of a cervix

probably has a protective aspect.

Yeah, the benefits in men are less but the greater the penetration of the vaccine the less there will be of the disease. Since it's probably a human-only disease it could be driven into extinction by a sufficient vaccination program.

Oldfart 06-14-2006 05:34 PM

It worked for Smallpox.

This was not Clark Kent's brush with syphilis.

Fangtasia 06-14-2006 06:54 PM

The vaccine looks to become part of the primary school immunization program here.....it will be free to 11-12 yrs old girls

Brilliant idea

It is for women only that i have heard....those wishing to be innoculated (other than those that chose to have it at done at school age) will have to pay approximately AU$200 for the course of injections

Oldfart 10-15-2006 11:40 PM

It's a punt they take which may save their lives. Their choice.

Loulabelle 10-16-2006 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but in the UK the fact that having sex at a young age and with numerous partners can increase your exposure to HPV, therefore increasing your risk of developing cervical cancer was never made clear.

I received an above average quality of sex education and it was never even touched upon - perhaps if it had been there would be fewer underage girls having sex and living a promiscuous lifestyle.

A friend of mine was found to have 'abnormal cells' when she was 18 and was told by a very unfeeling doctor 'It's because you had sex so young and with so many different people that you've got this' which made her cry as she had no idea that she was putting herself at risk at the time.

If kids are not being taught the dangers of HPV in the first place, then how can a vaccination against it make them more likely to have underage sex?

Lilith 10-16-2006 04:32 AM

Here in the US there is a television campaign regarding HPV but it does not give all the info. Instead it suggests you speak to your doctor.

bob_goatse 10-16-2006 10:23 AM

The vaccine is only for girls who have not yet had sex as the vaccine will only prevent an infection and will do nothing for someone who is already infected. It will only protect against the 2 strains that most often cause genital warts and the 2 strains that most often cause cervical cancer. It will not protect against the dozens of other strains that exist.

BTW, the only "safe" sex to prevent the transfer of HPV is no sex.

Loren 10-16-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
Here in the US there is a television campaign regarding HPV but it does not give all the info. Instead it suggests you speak to your doctor.

Of course not. If they're going to discuss the drug they need to go into all the medical disclosure, something that's pretty hard to do on TV.

Fangtasia 10-16-2006 01:39 PM

The vaccine is not only for girls who have not had sex...it is just more effective....but thats not to say that it can do nearly as much for a woman who's had sex

I'm looking into the cost of getting the series of injections....i think its around AU$400 for a woman to get the course done....but will need to discuss cost with my Doc.

Lilith 10-16-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:
Of course not. If they're going to discuss the drug they need to go into all the medical disclosure, something that's pretty hard to do on TV.

My main concern is that they do not go into the risks associated with premature sexual activity.

bob_goatse 10-16-2006 06:53 PM

If a girl/woman has had sex then the benefit of the vaccination decreases as there is possible exposure to the 4 strains the vaccine was designed for. With the addition of multiple sex partners the benefit is even less.

wyndhy 10-16-2006 07:30 PM

yes, but notice that there is a benefit, the odds just increase or decrease depending.

Loren 10-17-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:
My main concern is that they do not go into the risks associated with premature sexual activity.

In other words, we should leave women vulnerable to HPV in order to scare them into abstinence??

Steph 10-17-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:
In other words, we should leave women vulnerable to HPV in order to scare them into abstinence??

I really don't think that's what she meant. My concern with the vaccine is that some women might overlook other STD risks.

Lilith 10-17-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Ummmm you must have mistaken me someone else.

No, the dumb ass commercials should mention the risks of premature or promiscuous sex. They should not have to go to a DR. to find out information that could easily be given then and there.

Loren 10-18-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:
Ummmm you must have mistaken me someone else.

No, the dumb ass commercials should mention the risks of premature or promiscuous sex. They should not have to go to a DR. to find out information that could easily be given then and there.

A meaningful discussion of it in 30 seconds? That after using some of the time to mention the HPV vaccine?

Aqua 10-18-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:
A meaningful discussion of it in 30 seconds? That after using some of the time to mention the HPV vaccine?

They can make time for it in the commercial if they want to. It might not be 'meaningful discussion' but it can be put out there. Combining that information with 'talk to your DR' will generate more discussion than 'talk to your DR' only.

wyndhy 10-18-2006 01:19 PM

it wouldn't take long to say having unprotected sex puts you at risk for genital warts and other std’s. respect your body: cogitate before you copulate.

k, maybe not those exact words.

WildIrish 10-18-2006 02:11 PM

In a former life, I recorded voiceovers for radio commercials.

If I can fit...

"Headache, fatigue, dry mouth, thirst, dry nose or hoarseness may occur. These effects should lessen as your body adjusts to the medication. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: nervousness, rapid or pounding heartbeat, unusual weakness, stomach pain, dizziness, diarrhea, wheezing, increased physical activity.

***** does not usually cause drowsiness when used at recommended doses and under normal circumstances. However, be sure of the drug's effects before engaging in activities that require alertness such as driving or using machinery.

A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist."

...at the end of a 30 second radio commercial for asthma medicine, well, surely someone can fit "This product does not protect you from any contractible disease associated with unprotected sex other than that for which it was specifically designed.".

And if they can't...call me and I'll do it! I'm looking for the $$. :D

Loren 10-19-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
They can make time for it in the commercial if they want to. It might not be 'meaningful discussion' but it can be put out there. Combining that information with 'talk to your DR' will generate more discussion than 'talk to your DR' only.

It's expected that your doctor will talk to you about the STD risk.

Aqua 10-19-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:
It's expected that your doctor will talk to you about the STD risk.

Yes, it is. But first you have to actually go see the Dr.

Loren 10-20-2006 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
Yes, it is. But first you have to actually go see the Dr.

You're not going to get the vaccine without going to see your doctor.

WildIrish 10-20-2006 02:32 PM

That's all fine & dandy...

but I'm still looking for $$. :p