PDA

View Full Version : THE IMPLANT REVOLUTION Oct 7 2002

Lilith
10-09-2002, 07:23 AM
IF scientists in Edinburgh have their way, first-time claims of "of course I'm on the Pill" will soon be considered just as open to suspicion by women as men. The male contraceptive pill could be available in less than three years.

The notion of a male "pill" is misleading. Those involved in trials have hormone-releasing rod-shaped implants placed under their skin - so no excuses about forgetting to take it.

The drugs released trick the brain into stopping sperm and testosterone production. Another implant switches some testosterone back on again, which makes sure the man's sex drive hangs around to make the most of his new reliable self.

Doctors say the drug has proved 93 per cent effective in trials. Weekly clinics are run by Dr. Brian Brady at Edinburgh's Royal Infirmary, during which he meets new patients who want to be involved, as well as checking on the progress of those who have already signed up.

Dr Brady said: "This method is really effective and the side effects are tiny. It's now at a stage where most of us involved are pretty happy with how things are going, so I'd say it's likely to be on the market in only a few years."

The drugs are not yet widely available and, once the trial period has ended, it's back to the current limited choice.

Professor Bob Miller, 58, is Director of the MRC Human Reproductive Sciences Unit at Edinburgh University and is the clinical consultant responsible for trials of the male Pill.

He said: "I think our search for an effective, safe male pill is probably much further advanced than many people realise. It works, simple as that. Why should men only have condoms and why should they be able to opt out of responsibility by saying they don't feel so great?

"This progress balances things out a little - Scotland should be very proud that we are leading the way in 21st-century contraceptive development."