PDA

View Full Version : Pierced Nipples and breast feeding

Grumble
02-18-2002, 06:18 PM
I am not at all interested in any body piering myself but if other like that well thats their thing.

What I would like to know is what effect a pierced nipple would have when a mother was breast feeding a child?

surely that would be an item of concern for young women who hoped to be a mother in later life.

Does anyone know?

Mae13
02-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Actually, the risks are not really existant, in all the studies I've seen. And I've worked as a somewhat lactation consultant, so I'm not just talkin out my ass here, lol :) Since the nipple is almost like a sponge of ductworks, putting metal through it still leaves plenty of room for milk to flow. I guess, if there was to be some horrible infection, with significant scarring throughout the entirity of the nipple/into the araeola, there could be *some* chance of this interfering with milk flow. However, I have never heard of a case of it.

The BIGGEST thing to remember is to NOT leave the jewelry in while actually feeding. While the chances of it opening and being swallowed is minimal, the suction power alone from those wee ones could probably damn near rip the things out! :)

My $0.02 anyway...
Mae

Grumble
02-20-2002, 12:18 AM
Your 2 cents worth has made me full bottle LOL (pun intended) :)

Ophelia
02-20-2002, 03:54 PM
Count me as the freak incident!

Though I have some available ducts...the scarring is pretty nasty. I'll spare you all the gory details, but it's not pretty!

Ophelia

Nubian
02-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Sorry to hear that sweet O. Hopefully all's well now?

Ophelia
02-21-2002, 03:35 PM
The "girls" are fine, but I won't be sharing any breast milk ever. Even if I could produce it. I'll be spending the next 10 years fighting an infection...but thankful they didn't have to take the nipple!

Ophelia

Nubian
02-21-2002, 07:20 PM
Glad to read that they will be ok but 10 years is quite a long time. Hopefully someone will benefit from your experience. Thanks for sharing, you brave soul.