PDA

View Full Version : Boggle

BamaKyttn
01-31-2002, 01:25 AM
does this statement boggle anyone elses mind?

This statement is false.

because if it is false then it's true, but if it's true then it's false...... AK!!!!!!! it may just be the blonde coming out in me.... time to re-dye the roots!

Always
Kyttn

Bilbo
01-31-2002, 02:47 AM
If it's not false..it's true...if it's not true it's false...therefore it must be false so the truth can be seen!

Nubian
01-31-2002, 07:05 AM
Think about it this way, the statement can't be true and it can't be false. If it's true, then it's false, if it's false then it's
true. Either way, you end up contradicting yourself. But it can't be neither true nor false, because that implies contradiction too.

"This statement is false" is the basic form of well known and
popularized antinomies. The statement is not necessarily either true or false: in any system of logic that allows "this statement is false", there is no consistent way of assigning "true" or "false" to all statements. Compare this to the similar statement "This statement is provable", which is indeed
provable.

Oldfart
01-31-2002, 01:05 PM
The classic I was taught was "I am a liar."

Paradox.

Aqua
01-31-2002, 02:06 PM
Another example... If you believe in an all powerful being, (Deity, God, Etc.)

If this being is all powerful, with the ability to do ANYTHING, could it create a rock so large that it could not then move the rock.

Or an example for the working world... You can't get a job without experience... and you can't experience without a job...

Not quite as paradoxial as I am a liar... but somewhat similar I think...

Glyndwr
01-31-2002, 07:20 PM
The next thing I say is the truth.
The last thing I said was a lie.

If only all logic was "0's & 1's"

Lilith
01-31-2002, 09:22 PM
but then found a smart one and married him (hee hee hee)~~~~~~~~>Lilith:D

Nubian
01-31-2002, 11:40 PM
LOL. Best way to deal with oxymorons, or so my wife tells me.