PDA

View Full Version : Traveling To Scotland

Eliza
01-09-2006, 11:04 PM
kiltsI need some help from our knowledgable World Travelers and or neighbors across the pond. kiltsWe're planning a trip to Scotland (woo hoo...does the happy dance of Joy.....Kilts.... mmmmm) for Fall of 07. kiltsI know I want to stay in Inverness, use that a base camp and do my sight seeing from there. I have a few attractions I want to see. Loch Ness (of course), Culloden Battlefield. And some castles..cairns and miscelaneous museums. Any recomendations for sights to see or places to visit would be helpfull.kilts (Mr Eliza wants to go to as many pubs as we can fit into our schedule...lol)

Also.... I've never been out of the country. I know enough that my laptop will likely blow up if I try and plug it in. I've heard that laptops are difficult things to use one of those adapters for. Any info on this?kilts

General traveling out of the country words of wisdom is also needed. I'm a little nervous.oh...did I mention....kilts

Thank You :D
Eliza
kilts

The Shadow
01-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Eliza,

I have been to Scotland several times there is lots to see and do there. I was based in the central highlands around Pithlochry on the A9 if i remember correctly.

Can see lots of castles around there. Also St Andrews if Mr. Eliza is into golf.

Your laptop can usually work with no problem there if u have a plug adapter. but check to see if it automatically converts to 240 v Mine worked fine when i lived there only thing i needed was a adapter (not a voltage regulator u might need one of those for blowdryer or curling iron) but check with MFG .

Have fun

PM me your questions and i will answer best I can ..

Loulabelle
01-10-2006, 03:02 AM
You might want to think about learning the language!

I know it sounds silly but the accent up there is STRONG.....even we English struggle with it, so perhaps you might want to try to get your ear in by watching as many films with genuine Scottish accents in as possible!

I've never heard of anyone coming to Britain and their lap-top blowing up, but then again, I suppose anything's possible.

You've got bags of time to prepare for this trip so don't fret about it now...otherwise by the time you come to set off, you'll be an absolute wreck.

dm383
01-10-2006, 05:09 AM
kiltsI need some help from our knowledgable World Travelers and or neighbors across the pond. kiltsWe're planning a trip to Scotland (woo hoo...does the happy dance of Joy.....Kilts.... mmmmm) for Fall of 07. kiltsI know I want to stay in Inverness, use that a base camp and do my sight seeing from there. I have a few attractions I want to see. Loch Ness (of course), Culloden Battlefield. And some castles..cairns and miscelaneous museums. Any recomendations for sights to see or places to visit would be helpfull.kilts (Mr Eliza wants to go to as many pubs as we can fit into our schedule...lol)

Also.... I've never been out of the country. I know enough that my laptop will likely blow up if I try and plug it in. I've heard that laptops are difficult things to use one of those adapters for. Any info on this?kilts

General traveling out of the country words of wisdom is also needed. I'm a little nervous.oh...did I mention....kilts

Thank You :D
Eliza
kilts

Nice to see you want to come and visit our fair country, Eliza! There's a few websites which will help; This one (http://www.scotland-info.co.uk/?source=ukoverture) seems to have some useful info, and visit scotland (http://www.visitscotland.com/) is the official 'Scotland' tourism website.

Also, while I love Inverness, IMHO you can't beat Perthshire as a base - go here (http://www.perthshire.co.uk/) to have a look at what they have to offer.

You might want to think about learning the language!

I know it sounds silly but the accent up there is STRONG.....even we English struggle with it, so perhaps you might want to try to get your ear in by watching as many films with genuine Scottish accents in as possible!

I know where Lou's coming from with this statement (even a lot of Scots have trouble with some of the more northern dialects!!) but Inverness people are widely believed to speak the purest English in the world, so maybe your problems with the language wouldn't be too bad!!

Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time..... only one tiny little thing..... not many guys wear kilts on a regular basis, not even "up North"! Sorry!! ;)

DM

smithy020
01-10-2006, 08:52 AM
inverness is a brilliant place, and its airport will get you into london in just over 2 hours incase that takes your fancy. flybmi.co.uk or ryanair.co.uk offer daily flights, A few days in the central belt will allow you to see the sights of edinburgh and glasgow,

Eliza
01-10-2006, 08:49 PM
only one tiny little thing..... not many guys wear kilts on a regular basis, not even "up North"! Sorry!! ;)
DM

*gasp...shock... horror* THEY DON'T!!?? lol..I figured that. But a girl can dream right? Now dm... maybe just a wee post of you in your (you do have one right??) kilt. That may make it all better. :D

Thank you all for the info. I'll peruse those sites.

Lou.. While I do LOVE that burr. It is a little tough when they run it all together....lol. I just told Mr. Eliza about watching all the Scotish movies I can. lol he rolled his eyes. (wonder why) That certainly won't be a hardship for me.

Shadow, thanks for the info on my laptop not blowing up...that will definately come in handy. I'll have to put the adapter on the growing list of things to get.

Smithy. I would love to see things in Edinburgh... I'll have to look into that.

Thank you all so much! I knew the Pixies Peeps would come to my rescue. Ya'all are such a wealth of info and experience. ((((hugs))))

~Eliza

(dm..I await your kilt pic post :D )

aberdeen06
02-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Ive got a kilt ;)

You wont have any trouble understanding people in Inverness, the accent is very clear. People in the North East or Glaswegians might be a bit more difficult tho. Inverness is nice, if your going to Culloden battle field it will be worth while checking out Clava Cairns beside it and the spectacular railway viaduct. Urquhart Castle on loch ness should definatley be on your agenda.

If Mr Eliza likes pubs id reconmend he goes to "hootannys" in Inverness - its a Scottish celidh pub that has live traditional music every night. If you have time a visit to isle of Skye is worthwhile, the scenary is amazing.

Also Scotlands capital Edinburgh is a good place to be in the summer as its buzzing with street perfromers and all sorts of shows/entertainment during the Edinburgh festival. Theres also the military tattoo at the Castle where im sure youd see plenty of kilts :P Edinburgh is about 2 and half hours by train from Inverness. If your into Scottish history go to Stirling, you get a spectacular view from the top of the Wallace monument and you can see his actual sword.

I could go on forever about places to visit...

dm383
02-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Ive got a kilt ;)

You wont have any trouble understanding people in Inverness, the accent is very clear. People in the North East or Glaswegians might be a bit more difficult tho. Inverness is nice, if your going to Culloden battle field it will be worth while checking out Clava Cairns beside it and the spectacular railway viaduct. Urquhart Castle on loch ness should definatley be on your agenda.

If Mr Eliza likes pubs id reconmend he goes to "hootannys" in Inverness - its a Scottish celidh pub that has live traditional music every night. If you have time a visit to isle of Skye is worthwhile, the scenary is amazing.

Also Scotlands capital Edinburgh is a good place to be in the summer as its buzzing with street perfromers and all sorts of shows/entertainment during the Edinburgh festival. Theres also the military tattoo at the Castle where im sure youd see plenty of kilts :P Edinburgh is about 2 and half hours by train from Inverness. If your into Scottish history go to Stirling, you get a spectacular view from the top of the Wallace monument and you can see his actual sword.

I could go on forever about places to visit...

Glaswegians???????

Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me?!?!?!

Onybuddy kin onnerston a weegie, ya bampot!!

DM

( ;) )

aberdeen06
02-03-2006, 09:25 PM
'mon then :P

Eliza
02-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Ive got a kilt ;)

Well let's see Hun!

Thank you so much for the great info... Clava Cairns are definately on the list. I'll also add Hootnannys. Sounds great! :D