PDA

View Full Version : Top-up Fees

jseal
01-27-2004, 02:45 PM
British MPs are voting now on Tony Blair’s government's controversial plans for university top-up fees.

Have any State-Side Pixies heard about this? It is a big deal on the UK.

Lilith
01-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Not heard a word...but I live under a rock. Can you give me a URL or fill me in?

celticangel
01-27-2004, 02:54 PM
just a thought jseal, wonder what news/information they'll try to bury below all the fuss????
oops~~~~much to cynical~~~~~~~~must be the past 19yrs working for the NHS!!!!

celticangel
01-27-2004, 02:56 PM
education should be free
child care should be higher paid
and nurses should not need to use metal detectors in acute admission wards!!!!!!

SuccubusKitty
01-27-2004, 02:57 PM
okay, please cure my ignorance and tell me what a top-up fee is. or like lil said, "gotta link?"

jseal
01-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Basically, HM government wishes to permit universities to charge students up to £3,000 a year.

Lilith
01-27-2004, 03:24 PM
http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/expenses/

If you lived in Tx and went to UT it would run ya just about that!

jseal
01-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by celticangel
...wonder what news/information they'll try to bury below all the fuss????

celticangel,

That would not be the first time they tried that trick.

LixyChick
01-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Pardon my ignorance......but...what is the current situation and why the hub-bub......if what Lilith has said is true....if ya live in TX and go to UT (non resident)......same thing? NO?

Or.......do they pay less now (tons less) and this is to up the current student payment?

Oh shit...I have to get out more often....I have no clue!

dm383
01-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Lixy;

Up until a few years ago, in the U.K. if you went to University or ANY form of Higher Education, all your tuition was paid by the Government (via local Education boards). Also, most students qualified for a (tiny!!) grant from the Department of Education, to subsidise their living expenses.

However..... a few years ago (not sure how long!!) grants were scrapped, and they brought in "Student Loans", which students had to pay back once they'd qualified. OK, controversial (and deemed unfair by most people here) but fine-ish, so far.

NOW, though, the Governement wants to start charging students for part or all of their tuition fees....... only in England & Wales, so far....... and THAT'S what everyone's kicking up a fuss about.
(And quite rightly too, in my opinion!! :))

That's my understanding of it, anyway!

DM

LixyChick
01-27-2004, 05:45 PM
TY (((((DM))))))! I understand.......and I can see how it would ire everyone!

It's different here in the US......we pay a lot for (or get scholarships for) higher education......depending on the college of choice and acception....and we're used to that fact. There is even a program now.....where new parents can start an education account (and not pay taxes on it) and set the price for their childs education by todays standard, and that will be the cost when their child is of age to go to college. At least that is how I understand it to be. But....the cost is almost always on the parent, or child (through savings, loans, and/or scholarships)........and [part of] the reason I never made it to college after I graduated high school.

Lilith
01-27-2004, 07:47 PM
It is $$$ and my family is sacrificing a lot so I can live my dreams. Lixy I believe those are for 2003 at UT. I will owe a zillion dollars when I get done because I took student loans to cover the cost. I attend a private college and pay about the same as UT's costs.

I know that California at one time had some free Jr. college but I am not aware if that is still the case. I can imagine that going from a free system to a pay as you go one would be a great hardship for many families.

Grumble
01-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Australia has a scheme where the student pays off part of the cost of higher education when they have a job later on.
some explanation below
1.1 What is HECS?
The Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) is a fair and equitable way of ensuring that students contribute to the cost of their higher education. It is considered reasonable that students who directly benefit from higher education should pay part of the cost of their studies, while the Commonwealth pays the major part of the costs involved. HECS provides a loan to students that is indexed to maintain its real value but is otherwise interest free, with deferred income contingent repayment. The deferred payment arrangements mean that students are not prevented from participating in higher education if they are unable to pay the contribution up front.

HECS is administered under the Higher Education Funding Act 1988 by the Department of Education, Science and Training, the Australian Taxation Office and higher education institutions. The information outlined in this booklet is consistent with the present legislation. However, changes may be made to any provisions of the Scheme at any time with the consent of both Houses of Parliament

Catch22
01-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Blair narrowly wins key vote

AP - Prime Minister Tony Blair narrowly defeated a rebellion in his governing Labour Party against plans to increase university fees.

A last-minute campaign to secure backing for the much criticised legislation paid off when 316 lawmakers voted in favour, while 311 voted against. A defeat would have been Blair's first in Parliament since taking office in 1997.

The victory offered Blair a brief reprieve during one of the most tense weeks of his leadership.

On Wednesday, a senior judge is due to publish a report into the death of a weapons adviser caught up in a controversy over the government's justification of the war in Iraq.

Labour lawmakers cheered loudly as the result was announced.

The vote meant the bill passed its second reading, which is an agreement on its basic principles. It next goes before a committee of lawmakers who consider the legislation in detail and suggest possible changes before submitting it to a third reading in the Commons.

If approved at that stage, the bill moves to the House of Lords, which can delay or amend the legislation but not block it. The proposal becomes law after winning the backing of both houses and receiving royal assent.